Wednesday, July 31, 2013

{DIY} A Tufted Ottoman for my closet

A few weeks ago I shared one of my thrifting finds on Instagram. It was this little tufted beauty that I found for $25!



If you have priced out ottoman's lately you would know that it was a pretty great steal! Tufted ottomans go for around $99 and up depending on the quality, fabric and store.


I decided that I needed her for my closet and so she came home with me. Even though I loved the lines, woodwork and tufting...she needed an update! I am not a fan of faded red velvet. You?



I started looking through my fabric stash and came across this navy and white striped fabric that I picked up at Ikea last year. I knew it would be perfect in my little closet. The only supply that I had to buy for this project was this cover button kit. It was $4.99! A pretty cheap project... if I do say so myself!


First things first...the legs had to come off, then I stripped the nail head trim off, and I ended up with swiss cheese foam! :)



The fun part started by using my power staple gun. I carefully stapled the striped fabric to the backside of the foam and already existing wood.




Not a pretty picture, I know! Just you wait!


After I used the cover button kit to make 11 buttons (8 navy & 3 white), I found this upholstery kit at my momma's house and started threading the wax thread up through the existing holes on the back.





Once the needle reach the top, I pulled it through and added the button. Then it was time to thread the string back down.


I really think that this step was the hardest part of this whole process. The foam was so thick that I had to use pliers to push the upholstery pin up through the foam and then try to grab the needle before it would slip back down! (upholstery newbie here people!)

Once all of the buttons were added, it was time for the tufting. I made a large knot on the back with the thread and really pulled the string taut. Then I added a few staples to keep the thread from moving.



Once I saw these little humps forming...I knew I was doing something right!



I screwed the legs back on and brought her back upstairs and placed her in my closet.


Can I say that I am totally smitten with this little beauty!??





It isn't perfect, but neither am I! I learned a lot from this project and know that my next tufted creation will be dynamite!

Have you all ever tackled tufting? Any tips for a newbie?

Happy Wednesday All!

Linked up: Liz Marie Blog & Serenity Now & CSI Project

20 comments:

  1. Much better Amy! Love the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikea has some amazing fabric and it is cheap! Thanks Laurie!

      Delete
  2. Adorbs! Looks quite professional! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally unrelated but those are super cute shoes? Where did you get them and what brand are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny question...I love these shoes. They are from Max Studios. I got them from a high end designer thrift store in Raleigh a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am happy with how it turned out..even if it isn't perfect!

      Delete
  5. Cute Amy! I love it! I may be pinging you soon... want to tackle tufting so badly and you may have finally given me the inspiration to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I am in love with it...anytime you want to give tufting a go...give me a ring!

      Delete
  6. Wow. Absolutely stunning. And i love the shoes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Wish I could upholster everything in stripes!

      Delete
  7. WOW that looks amazing! Love that you kept the legs wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really debated on painting those legs, but I am sooo glad I didn't!

      Delete
  8. Looks great. I love the striped fabric. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party that is going on right now.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK Totally in love with this!!!!!! Awesome JOB! Thank you for sharing on CSI Project "Thrift Store Turnaround"!

    Shelly@MinettesMaze

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly beautiful!
    Thank you for sharing the products you used.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews