Monday, April 14, 2014

{DIY} Welcome Mat for Spring

Welcome to Monday! Not sure if I am ready for the day, but ready or not it's here! I hope you had a nice weekend. It was in the 80's here and I so enjoyed spending time outside. I did get my front porch spruced up for sitting and entertaining this spring/summer. I can't wait to show you. I should have some pictures up on Wednesday!

While sprucing up the front porch I noticed that my welcome mat was plain and boring. I wanted to do something to make a small statement as guests arrived at our front door. I came across this Etsy site and knew immediately that I wanted to recreate one of these mats for myself. Originally I wanted to write "Welcome Ya'll" or "Hey Ya'll" but the Hubs wasn't going for those. So I decided on something very simple:



We have been joking all weekend and saying "Hi" really quick to each other and laughing. We have to entertain ourselves somehow people! 

1. First, I used my Silhouette to cut out 4" letters onto white Cardstock. (You could just print some fun letters and trace them onto a heavy paper.)



2. Then I punched the letters out and placed the stencil on the lower left corner of my welcome mat.



3. I used a thicker bristled brush to help get the paint to soak down into the mat.



4. I also made sure to use a little painter's tape at the corners so the stencil wouldn't slide while painting. Then I waited for an hour or so until the paint dried. 


You can see in the above picture that I used a sample of Valspar paint that I had on hand. It is a fun limey green color, but reads almost yellow in some of my pictures.







I love the small update. It isn't too bold and crazy....just a little somethin to add some fun to our porch!

How about you! What were you up to this weekend? Any outside work or fun DIY's that I must know about?

Linked up at: Thrifty Decor Chick

6 comments:

  1. i don't know how you do it, amy. always such fresh ideas that come together so easily! love the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet friend! Wish you lived closer so we could DIY together!

      Delete
    2. me too!

      p.s. i LOVE that you and john kept saying "hi" to each other - you guys crack me up!

      Delete
    3. Ha! Yes I am sure you can imagine us saying that to each other. We are dorks...what can I say! hehe

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews